The Estonian Open Government Data Portal provides access to public sector data, which can be freely reused or shared. As of June 2020, more than 700 databases were published on the portal, some of which also contain spatial data relevant for mobility research. The thematic diversity of such databases is quite high, including themes, such as:
- politics (e.g., data on elections);
- economy (e.g., data from the Business Register, statistics about registered unemployment);
- law and security (e.g., offenses against public order and property committed in public places, road traffic accident database MALIS);
- building and transport (e.g., Estonian National Register of Buildings, Public Transport Register);
- medicine (e.g., list of GPs, pharmacies conforming to the rules of the upcoming pharmacy reform);
- education and research (e.g., Estonian Education Information System’s open data, Examination Information System’s open data);
- culture and sports (e.g., Estonian Sports Register’s open data)
- and various regional databases (e.g., public events permits in Tallinn, locations of sports fields and playgrounds in Tartu).
The detailedness of spatial data varies depending on the database, ranging from the name of the county to the exact address and geographical coordinates.
In the portal, each database is accompanied by a brief description, information on the license to use, the frequency of updates, the time of adding the database to the portal, the last modification time, the main topic, and contact information.
Use of data